Welcome to Cherokee Park United Church. We are a progressive, liberal Saint Paul West Side congregation. At CPUC we believe that in Christ we are called to enter a new humanity free from the human barriers of race, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or an other basis by which our oneness in Christ is denied. We would be blessed to have you join us in worship.
Location and Contact Info
Regular Schedule runs from the 1st Sunday after Labor Day through the 1st Sunday in June.
- 9:00 a.m. Sunday School
- 9:00 a.m. Adult Forum
- 10:15 a.m. Worship Service
Summer Schedule runs from the 2nd Sunday in June through the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend.
- 9:30 a.m. Worship Service
- Candlelight Christmas Eve Service: December 24th
- Ash Wednesday: Wednesday prior to Lent
- Maunday Thursday (Service of Shadows): Thursday prior to Easter
- We use a bulletin (program) that gives you a road map to what is coming next in the service.
- We follow the liturgical calendar and read Scripture at each service.
- We are enthusiastic about sharing “the peace of God” or greeting each other during worship.
- In our liturgy and in our prayers, we use language that is inclusive. We draw upon diverse images offered by Scripture to speak about God.
- We welcome people as they are.
We sing a blend of music from around the world and more traditional hymns. A cantor leads the congregation in song, and helps us learn less familiar tunes. From September through May, our choir shares an anthem. During the summer months, members and guests treat the congregation to special music selections.
Kids and Families
We love to have children be with us during worship. We have activity bags available for small ones if desired. There is a parent’s room off the sanctuary where families can listen to the service and be with their children. We also provide a nursery downstairs with staff and volunteer attendants for Kindergarten age children and younger. See the Children and Families page for information about Sunday School.
We typically celebrate communion on the first Sunday of each month. You need not be a member of our church, or any church, to take part. Everyone is welcome at our table. God doesn’t discriminate, and neither do we.
What to Wear
You are welcome to come as you are. Some of our members wear a dress or slacks to service because that’s what makes them feel comfortable. Shorts, jeans, sandals, T-shirts, and tennis shoes are fine. We care about about seeing you and not what you’re wearing.
Food is an important part of the life of the church. After service each Sunday, we host a Coffee Hour in our fellowship hall. Typically, snacks, coffee, and juice are available. On many Sundays throughout the year, we also sponsor a full meal, including pancake brunches, a roast beef dinner (with vegetarian option), traditional Guatemalan papusas, and our annual picnic at Cherokee Park. We would love to have you join us (and bring home some leftovers).
We are handicapped accessible. See Accessibility page for info on identifying the best way to enter.