The transition period between called pastors is a time for us to clearly examine ourselves, actively listen for the Spirit, and transform our church to be Christ’s body for our community, and our world, today.
The Transition Team and Pastor Joy Smith facilitated this process, working closely with the CPUC Council, various ministry teams, and the entire church. Some of the things accomplished include –
- Counseled Pastor Joy as she began her ministry with us, to acclimate her to the community, and help identify areas to focus transition efforts.
- Worked with the CPUC Council to form a Stained Glass Task Force, which since inception has now evolved into the Sacred Space Ministry. Their efforts to transform our worship space will bear fruit for years to come.
- Worked with the CPUC Council to create a Personnel Ministry Team. Formalizing our staff hiring and management process will strengthen our church structure, while providing better support to our staff members.
- Conducted a Church Planning Inventory, a detailed survey of the church membership. We examined things like demographics, worship style, engagement, programming, and giving. This assessment helps us clearly understand who we are, our strengths, and the challenges we face.
- Conducted an Insite report about our community and surrounding neighborhoods to identify demographic information, religious beliefs, and needs of our neighbors.
- Facilitated a discussion with local community leaders about the needs around us, and what we as a faith community can do to answer God’s call.
- Worked with the CPUC Council, Lay Ministry, and Ministry leaders to recommend restructuring and merger of various Ministry Teams.
- Facilitated the creation of new Mission, Vision, and Value statements for the Church. These statements reflect what we believe God is calling us to do. The statements guide our decision making as we endeavor to remain true to our core beliefs.
The Pastor Nominating Committee is doing the important work of searching for our next called pastor. The Transition Team completed their work and looks forward to the next chapter in the life of Cherokee Park United.