On June 2, 1968 the congregations of St. John’s United Church of Christ and Cherokee Heights Presbyterian Church merged to form one congregation known as Cherokee Park United Church. Today members of Cherokee Park United Church are considered members of both the United Church of Christ and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The congregation supports mission programs of the two denominations on a 50/50 basis.
Cherokee Heights Presbyterian Church began as a Sunday School Mission of the Goodrich Ave. Presbyterian Church in November of 1908. The Mission was organized as a church congregation in 1912 and chose the name of “Grand View Heights Presbyterian Church”. The Chapel, which is the north part of the present building, was erected in 1914. In 1921 the name of the church was changed to “Cherokee Heights Presbyterian Church”. The building was enlarged to its present size in 1928.
The St. John’s Church was organized in January of 1920, as the “St. John’s Evangelical Church of St. Paul.” The property on the corner of King Street and Orleans was purchased from the Methodist Church in that same year. The St. John’s Church became a part of the United Church of Christ in 1963 as the result of the merger of the Evangelical Reformed Church with the Congregational Christians at the national level.
Cherokee Park United Church worships in the former Cherokee Heights Presbyterian building. The church continues the long-standing commitment of both predecessor congregations in service to the West Side community and to the wider world. Cherokee Park United often shares its space with other congregations as well as community groups.