Cherokee Park United Church has adopted the Eight Points of Progressive Christianity developed by the Center for Progressive Christianity.* We understand these eight points to be descriptions of how we approach faith rather than a complete statement of faith.
By calling ourselves progressive Christians, we mean we are Christians who…
- Believe that following the path and teachings of Jesus can lead to an awareness and experience of the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life;
- Affirm that the teachings of Jesus provide but one of many ways to experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life, and that we can draw from diverse sources of wisdom in our spiritual journey;
- Seek community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to:
- Conventional Christians and questioning skeptics,
- Believers and agnostics,
- Women and men,
- Those of all sexual orientations and gender identities,
- Those of all classes and abilities;
- Know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe;
- Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;
- Strive for peace and justice among all people;
- Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth;
- Commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.
*The Center for Progressive Christianity is a nonprofit corporation that encourages the presentation of the Christian message to those who have found organized religion to be ineffectual, irrelevant, or repressive. TCPC supports congregations that embrace the search for meaning – rather than a particular brand of certainty.