Confirm not Conform is the purpose of Confirmation at CPUC
We believe that the purpose of confirmation is to provide a safe place for youth to explore the breadth of the Christian tradition, to ask questions and express their doubts, and to discover what they truly believe. It is an opportunity to find one’s own language and expression of Christian faith through the guidance of our pastor and adult mentors. They have some fun along the way too!
By about age 12, the most important developmental task for youth is to discover their own identity. There’s tremendous power in this struggle. Youth can be some of the most amazing revolutionaries, in the best sense of the word: idealistic and inspired to change the world and transform the church.
CPUC Confirmation Values:
- We respect the growing empowerment of the youth.
- We believe youth are capable of making their own faith choices.
- We expose them to ideas, religions, experiences and concepts, and let the Holy Spirit and their own engagement do the rest.
- We focus on their questions rather than our answers, and understand our role is a companion and guide rather than instructors.
- CPUC believes that when we allow our young people to grow, we end up growing our whole community.
We understand faith formation to be a life long journey, not an arrival to an established destination